21 Days Starts Now

Hey-ho again everybody!

So this last week has been something of a couch-focused blur thanks to a return of my UC symptoms.  All I felt like doing this week was laying around, sleeping, and watching trash TV.  I'm sad to say that nobody gave me any good TV suggestions so I've been watching "Basketball Wives" and "Cutthroat Kitchen" on such a nonstop loop that even the 4 year old is starting to make comments.  While part of me refuses to take criticism on bad TV from somebody who watches "Rescue Bots" nonstop, I have to admit my Hulu got more of a workout than I did this week.

On the happy side, the nurse who helps me with my UC stuff (and a woman I went to high school with) took pity on me and managed to get me in for training on my medication.  I love her so much.  So on Thursday I picked up my 6 shots, tried not to fall on the floor when the injection nurse told me that was $10,000 worth of medication (thanks to insurance and hitting my yearly prescription deductible, thank goodness it didn't cost me a dime) and I learned how to stab myself in the stomach fat with a needle and inject my own medication.  She told me that people describe it as injecting yourself with hot lava.  

She wasn't wrong.  

Man that sucked.  But I did it, it's done, and in two weeks I'll do it again, then once every other week from now until when my insurance will stop covering it or we realize it's not an effective treatment and go on to something else.

On Thursday I also finally spoke to an nutritionist and wellness educator who specializes in UC so that I can learn how to be healthy while dealing with UC.  Turns out that they don't think much about my eating habits will cause or prevent symptoms, though that didn't stop them from giving me a list as long as my arm of foods to avoid...  Which as it turns out is pretty much everything I like to eat...  Not that I'm bitter about it...  It's not like I eat a lot of sugar, refined carbs, and dairy...  Oh, wait...  

They did share tips on how to get my nutrients, exercise effectively, and hopefully lose some of that Prednisone bloat  Did I mention I kicked that to the curb this week too? Bon voyage Prednisone, hated every moment of taking you, hope I never have to again.  

Anyway, they asked me what my workout routine was and if getting nutrients through meal replacement drinks or nutrient dense shakes was something I liked.  I described my gym routine and most of it is stuff I can do still...  No running, no ab exercises (not that I wanted to do those anyway), and no spinning for the next month or so.  They asked if I do home workouts and I talked about 21 Day Fix...  I was stunned when I was told it was perfectly OK to do that, skipping ab day and modifying core exercises.  Um...  What?  Hurray!  I love 21 Day Fix!

The big shock of the consult was when they asked me if I enjoy meal replacement drinks or nutrient-dense drinks.  Me?  Enjoy shakes and drinks?  It's ridiculous how much I love those!  We went through and looked at the nutrients in some of the shakes I enjoy and I was stunned when two of my shake mixes got the seal of nutritionist approval...  Jay Robb Egg White Protein and my Shakeology.  Color me surprised. It's not that I thought they were unhealthy, but I was always under the impression that it was equal part healthy and equal part gimmicky... Who knew?

So today I'm trying the shakes, starting the 21 Day Fix and seeing where it takes me. Here's hoping that finally all the bits and pieces are working out... Finally.

So let's discuss: 

Who else has done either Shakeology or 21 Day Fix?
Seriously people, I need TV suggestions...  What is everyone watching?
Have you had to self-inject yourself with $10,000 worth of lava before?

2 comments:

  1. I like Jay Robb's Egg White Protein. However, I like NuZest far better! ;)

    I am so bummed to hear about the CRAP you're going through... Ugh. It's all about trial and error sadly.

    MY STOMACH IS KICKING MY ASS RIGHT NOW if it makes you feel any better - lol... ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it sad that does make me feel better? LoL!

      Delete